It is interesting to see the
differences between different forms of writing – depending on what the
topic is and where the story is being printed, the voice and tone can really
shape the way that the story is heard. NPR covered a story regarding the Common
Application and glitches that students are facing with completing the entire
application. One major difference that I noticed right off of the bat is how
the opening was not as eye-catching or enticing as some of the other news
articles that I have examined. Because this was a radio story, it is inevitable
that the opening would be different; however, because of the unenticing opening
line, it was difficult to stay focused throughout the entire article. Aside
from the opening, there were a few more quotations then there were in other
news articles that I had read. It was interesting to see how quotations were
used to liven up the story, rather then paraphrase more. Although the structure
was extremely different from a news article, I found that reading a media based
article was much more interesting. The way that the article was structured,
really allowed the content to flow properly, and was enjoyable for the reader.
NPR did a fantastic job of covering this story on the Common Application.
Although difficult to follow at first, I felt that the reporting done was very
well done, and that the quotations added life to the report.
No comments:
Post a Comment