Richie Incognito talks about the alleged bullying of
Jonathan Martin, Nov. 10. The interview has sparked debate.
![]() |
| Jonathan Martin, offensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins, left the NFL after being harassed by teammates. Photo courtesy of the NFL. |
Jonathan Martin left the Miami Dolphins after being bullied, Oct. 28.
Incognito had previously left Martin a voicemail with racial slurs. The message ended with Incognito telling Martin, “You’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”
In an interview with Fox Sports, Incognito said that the way football players communicate in the locker room is traditionally “vulgar.” He said. “I’ve taken stuff too far and I didn’t know it was hurting him.”
Jay Glazer interviews Richie Incognito about bullying Jonathan Martin. Incognito says, "I was a close friend with Jonathan....I've taken stuff too far and I didn't know I was hurting him." NFL players and other people have had mixed responses about this interview.
The reactions to the interview have been mixed. Twitter has seen a lot of the feedback.
Some people thought that Incognito’s answers were planned
ahead of time. Another criticism is that his answers are too heavily edited.
Sports writer Bill Barnwell tweeted, “Would like to see FOX release the version
of this Incognito interview that doesn’t have his responses edited/cut off in
mid-sentence.”
Other people thought that Jay Glazer, the person
interviewing Incognito, didn’t ask any though questions.
Dave Zirin, sports
editor for The Nation, tweeted, “I’m just glad @JayGlazer asked Incognito about
former teammates who’ve accused him of assault. Wait, what?”
However, not all of
the responses were negative.
Incognito told Glazer that Martin had also send him a vulgar
text. This information changed some people’s views of incognito.
Judy Battista,
a sports journalist for NFL.com. tweeted, “If Incognito proves Martin sent him
a text saying ‘I will murder your whole f---ing family’ how much does it shift
perception of this mess?”
NFL players have
mixed reactions as well.
ESPN released a survey about the Incognito/Martin
harassment, Nov. 8. A little less than half of the NFL players said they had
been hazed.
Also, they were asked if they would rather have Martin of
Incognito as a teammate. 34 responded with Martin while 15 said Incognito.
Dannell Ellerbe, lineman for the Dolphins, addressed Martin
coming forward about the bullying. He said, “We don’t have no problem with
[coming forward]. We would try to handle it the best way possible.”
The Dolphin’s defensive end was suspended in early November
because of this harassment.
Incognito filed a grievance last week to recover
his lost salary during this suspension. His weekly income had been more than
$235,000.
The grievance says that the NFL “has not and cannot identify
any detriment to the club caused by Mr. Incognito.”


No comments:
Post a Comment