Monday, November 4, 2013

Magic Moment: Halloween Edition


Anchor: A college professor performed a trick in front of his Writing for Communication class on Thursday. The trick’s backstory was fairly appropriate given the holiday that was being celebrated. Here’s Michael Lovito for Comm 200 News.

An American University professor made a shocking announcement to his class on Thursday, just in time for the Halloween season.

Apparently, Barry Gordemer has met and been taught by a ghost. 






“Ghosts, can go through solid objects, they can walk through walls, or anything like that. I had to know how to do that. And so he showed me. And so he showed the basic technique for how to make a solid object go through a solid object.“ 


What proceeded was a demonstration of the supposed phasing powers taught to Gordemer by the ghost by using a set of steel rings, Jane Burnett explains.





“So he gave the rings to different people around the room and he was, you know, he was one girl had to hold it like a steering wheel, and put her hand through it, he gave her like a high five and other people just had them as well. He would go through and hook his rings, like through their rings.”


A former professional magician, who has performed at the White House and on television, Gordemer is known for occasionally performing tricks in his class.

This one in particular seemed to astound his audience members, like Miranda Batch 




“I was impressed. I thought, definitely didn’t look like anything I would be able to do.” 

Some of Gordemer’s students like Miranda tried to come up with a rational explanation for the tricks, but were ultimately left without an answer. 








"I don’t know I think, I think, I think it was supposed to be an optical, not like an optical illusion, but like, look like their linked but really their not, but then towards the end they really looked linked.”

With so many theories floating around but no real answers, some people decided that there can only be one explanation. 




“I guess, it must be magic.”

For Comm 200 News, I’m Michael Lovito

No comments:

Post a Comment